Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Third at the Olympics gets you a medal. 

Third at Trials gets you heartache

Last night at trials I didn't sit in the stadium, because I wanted to get a different perspective. I stood where the athletes go to assemble before finals.  They call it the ready room and that's where I watched how they all prepared before the race of their lives. Its like being at the horse track, watching how the horses parade in the paddock. The tension was very tight for some, some tried to fake it and a few exuberated confidence. Funny thing, it was the same for the coaches too. It made me think, what would I be like in that situation? I hope to find out one day, so I better prepare for it now.

Last nights finals had some really great swims. UGA looks really good and are placing swimmers on the team every night. I expect UGA Head Coach Jack Bauerle to be named to the coaching staff. Most of my predictions came true. A little off in some. I sure hope Missy makes the team tonight in the 200 Fr. I expect she will, but not as a #1 or #2 finish.

Today the RAYS are off, no swims. So I'm going to relax and enjoy Omaha and the head to the zoo. Hope they let me out when I'm done.

Tonight at finals they will decide the Women's 200 Fr (Ledecky, Schmidt or Smith). Men's 200 Fly (Phelps, UGA's Pace Clark or Tom Shields) and the Women's 200 IM (UGA's Margalis and Dirado)


No comments: