Thursday, June 28, 2012

Get Comfortable Being Uncomfortable

Well Coach Ron's boy Charlie did it, he made the team, Wow was that a lot of fun. One tough swim, especially after his let down in the 400 on Monday night.

Watching finals last night made me think what goes into making this team, maybe there is one or two common threads. One that came to mind was all these Olympians go pass their comfort zone not on occasions, but every day. They have that uncanny ability to push past the physical, but more importantly at this level the mental comfort zone.

The legend Stanford coach Skip Kenney said "get comfortable being uncomfortable". Great words of wisdom for our athletes, but what about us adults?

When we were young didn't we try everything until we found something we liked to do? Personally now I'm older I very rarely do anything new, so I am very comfortable. As a goal for the future, I am going to do something that gets me out of my comfort zone, something challenging (not to much), but something I would not normally do. I challenge all that read this to do the same. It will be like reliving our youth.

No comments: